Substance Abuse and Mental Health Case Manager
Essential Job Duties:
- Conducts screening interviews to determine the need for a drug and alcohol assessment and for emergent care services in the specific areas of detoxification and mental health care.
- Assists clients with making referrals to and obtaining appropriate health and human services as needed based on the outcome of the screening interview.
- Applies strengths-based and trauma-informed approach to work collaboratively with clients and internal and external team members to help support clients in their treatment and recovery.
- Implements motivational interviewing techniques to engage client in decision-making process and help them understand the benefits of assessment and accessing the appropriate level of care.
- Provides case management services to patients with mental health disorders and substance abuse disorders to support treatment, including coordination with specialty providers via referral agreement for severe/complex cases.
- Collaborates with existing community resources to address environmental factors that impact the onset or recurrence of substance abuse disorders, with a focus on opioid use disorders.
- Enhances education for patients, families, communities and personnel to support patient engagement and self-management including medical conditions that often co-occur with mental health and substance use disorders.
- Provides assistance and resources to medical providers for treatment and recovery of identified patients.
- Monitors client access to and involvement with treatment and other providers to help address barriers to treatment and the recovery process.
- Follows up with clients within 7 days of referral, to ensure client follow-through with referral, and to assess process and client’s satisfaction with adjusting to program.
- Participates in all assigned meetings, staff development, and training as required.
- Assists with tracking and reporting of new clients who are receiving services.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Substance abuse provider with Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor (LISAC) certification.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker or Licensed PhD with substance abuse and mental health experience preferred.
- Case manager experience related to substance abuse and related disorders.
- One to two years of experience with patient/client care in a behavioral health setting strongly preferred.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the work place to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery. Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Job Status: Full Time