Patient Service Representative - LEAD
Job Title: Patient Service Representative - Lead (Medical or Dental)
Reports To: Health Center Administrator or Health Center Supervisor - Dental
Job Summary: Assists Patients and the Health Center Management (HCM) team in the performance of a broad range of administrative duties.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties that fall within the broad scope of this classification may be assigned.
- Clinical Administrative Duties.
- Ensures accuracy of provider schedules.
- Schedules and confirms patient appointments.
- Provides and facilitates the completion of necessary patient forms.
- Verifies medical and dental insurance coverage and eligibility.
- Assists patients with presumptive applications for Sliding Fee Discount Program.
- Verifies patient demographic information.
- Informs patients of account balances and takes payments over the counter.
- Answers telephone calls. Responds to caller questions as able and/or transfers calls to appropriate party.
- Takes and documents messages as appropriate.
- Deciphers the correct amount to charge self-pay, prompt pay or sliding fee discount program for patients.
- Proactively greets, interacts with, and assists patients and staff in a professional manner.
- Checks in patients on location.
- Verifies provider un-submitted encounters, as necessary.
- Verifies chart guard access and prints documents as needed.
- Performs medical records scanning.
- Provides Staff Meeting minutes.
- Print out new patient letters as requested.
- Post’s payments and facilitates bank deposits.
- Runs encounter co-pay report as requested.
- Runs and acts on reports as requested.
- Working assigned weekend is required.
- Clean lobby, restrooms and other patient areas with proper cleaning supplies while using proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Screen all patients and visitors and perform Infrared and ear temperature checks.
- Use and educate patients and visitors on the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Assists in PSR Oversight and Training.
- Performs Patient Services Representative audits.
- Develops Patient Services Representative monthly schedule.
- Trains all Patient Services Representative staff.
- In Addition to the Job Duties of a PSR III the following duties will be performed by a Lead PSR:
- Serve as a back up to the Health Center Administrator.
- Additional Dental Administrative Duties.
- Place all necessary recall plans for patients.
- Proactively calls patients from recall plan reports and schedules patients’ appointments according to recall.
- Verifies patient treatment plans, patient instructions, and summary reports.
- Verifies dental deductible.
- Processes and assists in the completion of dental referrals and tracking.
- Follows up on all outside referrals for the patient.
- Performs and assists in the completion of prior insurance authorizations and tracking.
- Together with the patient, provider and/ or other members of the dental care team assists with estimates for treatment plans for the patient and reviews with patients.
- Minimum Qualifications - Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one-year of Patient Service Representative experience in a healthcare setting providing office support.
- Customer Service 101 Class Completed through Universal Class.
- Medical Office Administrative Operations Class Completed through Universal Class.
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA).
- Any combination of experience and/or education that provides the necessary skills and sensitivity.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred, but not required.
- Ability to comprehend and understand limited medical terminology.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, access files, and operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to deal with challenges involving one or more variables in routine situations.
- Knowledge of prepaid health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Ability to comprehend and understand insurance co-pays.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service by mail, telephone, and in-person.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires occasional travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends.
Job Status: Full Time