Job Title: Medical Interpreter
Reports To: Health Center Administrator
Location: Douglas AZ (Various Clinics)
Job Summary: Provides interpretation between healthcare providers, patients, and families.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides accurate, culturally sensitive interpretation and translation for Spanish speaking patient population to facilitate communication between patients, providers, and staff.
- Provides information and guidance regarding the communication needs involved in all interactions.
- Translates CCHCI business documents and patient paperwork.
- Develops and maintains rapport, trust and respect with patients, families, providers and other clinical staff.
- Facilitates and provides educational tools and resources regarding cultural/social awareness and providing interpretation in a clinic setting.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Some college level coursework preferred.
- At least one year of Spanish interpreter/translator experience.
- Certified as Medical Interpreter from Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI); or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI) preferred.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English and Spanish in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments with little or no direct supervision.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in use of all Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative, ability, and flexibility to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to respect patient/family diversity and deliver quality service regardless of background.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a resume or letter of interest to Human Resources at www.cchci.org or fax: (520) 364-4261 or (520)515-8663.
- Demonstrated positive and collaborative style of interaction with patients, physicians, co-workers and the public; understands the need for teamwork and consensus decision making.
Job Status: Full Time