Medical Assistant (Student)
Job Title: Medical Assistant (Student)
Reports To: Medical Support Staff Supervisor
Job Summary: Under the direction of Provider, Medical Support Staff Supervisor (MSSS) or designee, this position provides patient care and customer service, per the Medical Assistant Student scope of practice. Duties include but are not limited to assisting providers during preparation and provision of patient visit, interviewing patient, obtaining reason for visit, room preparation, specimen collection, documentation in electronic health record, patient discharge, and facilitates communication between internal and external customers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Job duties may be modified at any time based on business needs.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assists Provider in the Administration of Patient Care:
- Identifies patient health care service requirements and gaps while being aware of age specific needs and protocols.
- Prepares for patient appointment by reviewing and updating patient records prior to patient arrival.
- Interviews patient to obtain reason for visit: chief complaint, and document in electronic health record following medical support staff workflow protocols for intake of patient.
- Obtains and records patient vital signs according to protocol for patient’s age.
- Prepares exam room and patient for examination/procedure being performed.
- Under the direct supervision of the provider, assists provider in procedures.
- Reviews patient plan and educates patients on discharge instructions. Educates patients as directed by provider.
- Fills out appropriate necessary paperwork for recording purposes.
- Answers phone calls and takes messages. Returns patient calls as directed by provider.
- Cleans, stocks and prepares rooms between patients in accordance with infection control standards,
- Processes referrals, and coordinates appointments for specific care and diagnostic procedures.
- Acts as a liaison between providers and other care givers.
- Receives reports on patients and delivers them to the appropriate provider.
- Documents and maintains records of written procedures, delivery of care, and pertinent information regarding patient care services.
- Complies with infection control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventory, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains patient confidentiality following HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Knows and follows procedure for immunization storage, and handling.
- Proficient in laboratory point of care testing.
- Travels to any location as needed.
- Working assigned weekends is required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Provide proof of current enrollment and successful completion of first semester of Medical Assistant Program at an accredited college.
- Provide proof of completion of 180 externship hours
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Valid Fingerprint clearance card required.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Preferred Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Part or full completion of 180 externship hours at a CCHCI location
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish may be preferred based on current staffing patterns, patient population, and/or duty assignment.
- Communicates in a professional and timely manner with patients and other members of the care team at all times.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computers, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses a range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- The work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Work frequently involves exposure to needles and other medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as the position requires occasional travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- If hired for a float position, the position requires frequent travel to any health center as needed.