Job Title: Phlebotomist
Reports To: Laboratory Director
Job Summary: Provides laboratory services to medical staff and providers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties upon proper notification.
Essential Job Duties:
- Prepares patients for lab draws.
- Laboratory requisition preparation.
- Performs all lab draws and maintain laboratory documents and logs.
- Performs controls prior to testing as directed by CCHCI Laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs CLIA-waived laboratory tests.
- Documents all patient care services in Electronic Health Records.
- Prepares lab specimens and associated paperwork as required for transfer to contracted laboratories.
- Answers patient questions regarding laboratory services and collection techniques.
- Follow up on outstanding Laboratory orders.
- Checks Rosetta holding tank for erroneous labs.
- Runs reports on Lead screenings; report out of range results, according to state laws, to providers and appropriate entities; document on the lead reporting logs.
- Centrifuge blood samples.
- Transports laboratory samples, if needed.
- Supply / equipment inventory tracking and ordering.
- Rotation of laboratory supplies/inventory and expiration date tracking.
- Monitors integrity of patient specimen collection processes and reports to Laboratory Director.
- Keep the Laboratory Director informed on all laboratory operational and equipment issues.
- Ensures all processing and handling of specimens referred out (routine and STAT) are carried out in an accurate, efficient and timely manner.
- Enforces and follows all laboratory safety rules and reports any possible hazards to the Laboratory Director.
- Communicates effectively with other clinic personnel regarding patient results and “no order arrivals”.
- Verifies patient demographics, insurance and correct payor sources on requisitions.
- Demonstrates competence in all aspects of the job including but not limited to, collection, storage and handling of blood samples, blood cultures, referral tests, order of draw and specimen storage and transfer requirements.
- Inspires confidence from patient’s and clinic staff by performing venipuncture according to CAP and CLIA.
- Reports to work as scheduled and responds to changes in work schedule.
- Ability to handle unexpected situations, able to exercise independent critical thinking.
- Travels to all CCHCI laboratory and clinic locations, if necessary.
- Audits the MA III lab competency performance.
- Manages laboratory specific colorectal, diabetic and other appropriate quality measures as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working assigned weekends is required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Proof of Completion of accredited Phlebotomy program.
- Minimum of one year of phlebotomy experience.
- Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the necessary skills and sensitivity.
- Phlebotomy Certification preferred.
- Fingerprint Clearance Card Required.
- Must maintain current CPR training certification.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish may be preferred based on current staffing patterns, patient population, and/or duty assignment.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform basic medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic laboratory clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Work occasionally involves use of medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
Job Status: Full Time