Medical Assistant/Immunization Specialist
Job Title: Immunization Specialist
Reports To: Health Center Clinical Supervisor
Job Summary: Assists Immunizations Coordinator in the management of the immunization program in assigned center.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted, and/or applied in any way, as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assists in Management of Immunization Administration
- Manages all patient vaccine data, including updating Arizona State Immunization Information System (ASIIS), Electronic Health Records, and all patient and/or external records at each patient visit.
- Readies any available immunization information prior to the time of visit with the provider.
- Stores and administers immunizations according to VFA/VFC guidelines.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures regarding immunization practices.
- Identifies patient immunization requirements in accordance with age specific needs and protocols.
- Fills out appropriate immunization paperwork for recording purposes.
- Facilitates vaccine inventory control at assigned health center.
- Acts as a liaison between providers and care givers.
- Generates reports on patients and contacts them for immunization compliance and updates.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with infection control policies and protocols and follows medication administration, storage procedures and CDC and federal VFA/VFC program guidelines.
- Working assigned early mornings, evening and weekend shifts is required.
- Performs other medical assistant duties as needed to support providers and clinical staff in the administration of patient care.
- Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- One to two years of experience in clinical setting is preferred.
- Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the necessary skills and sensitivity.
- Medical Assistant Certification or Military experience in Medical Assistant Program required.
- Certified or Registered Medical Assistant Certification required.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Certified EKG Technician Certification required within 3 months of starting position.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card required.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform basic medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of VFC program and guidelines preferred.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work frequently involves use of needles and other medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires occasional travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends.