Medical Assistant III - Lead
Job Title: Medical Assistant III – Lead
Reports To: Medical Support Staff Supervisor
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the efficient, profitable day-to-day operation of the center(s). Responds to the needs of patients, family members, community, as well as other departments. Coordinates activities with providers and other departments to manage patient flow and manage related systems and process to provide quality services to patients in a safe and positive environment.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties that fall within the broad scope of this classification may be assigned.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assists Provider in the Administration of Patient Care:
- Identifies patient health care service requirements and gaps while being aware of age specific needs and protocols.
- Prepares for the patient appointment by reviewing and updating patient records prior to patient arrival
- Correctly enters any standing orders the patients may be due for based on diagnosis history, presenting symptoms, or age requirements.
- Interviews patient to obtain reason for visit: chief complaint, and document in electronic health record following MA workflow protocols for intake of patient
- Obtain and record patients’ vital signs according to protocol for patient’s age
- Prepares exam room and patient for examination/procedure being performed.
- Assists providers in performing procedures.
- Administers injections and other treatments as ordered by the provider.
- Reviews patient plan and educates patients on discharge instructions. Educates patients as directed by provider.
- Fills out appropriate necessary paperwork for recording purposes.
- Answer’s phone calls and takes messages. Returns patient calls as directed by provider.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between patients and stocks exam rooms.
- Processes referrals, medication refill requests, and coordinates appointments for specific care and diagnostic procedures.
- Acts as a liaison between providers and other care givers.
- Receives reports on patients and delivers them to the appropriate provider.
- Performs sterilization of instruments and surgical packs in a timely manner.
- Documents and maintains records of verbal and written procedures, medication, delivery of care, and pertinent information regarding patient care services.
- Complies with infection control policies and protocols; follows medication administration, storage procedures and controlled substance regulations.
- Ensures operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventory, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- When needed, performs lab draws and maintains laboratory documents.
- Maintains patient confidentiality following HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Communicates in a professional and timely manner with patients and other members of the care team at all times.
- Knows and follows procedure for immunization storage, handling, and administration.
- Follows all medication policies and procedures for labeling, storing and use.
- Proficient in laboratory point of care testing.
- Maintains laboratory documents.
- Travels to any location as needed.
- Working assigned weekends is required.
- In Addition to Regular Medical Assistant Duties, Assists in Ensuring Effective Clinic Operations
- Works closely with Clinic Leadership Team to resolve patient flow issues.
- Collaborates with Vaccine Program Manager to perform necessary Vaccine for Adults/Children and vaccine program quality management tasks such as logging medication, performing temperature checks, monthly ordering and participating in VFA/VFC audits.
- Maintains medical supplies and medication inventory in clinic by anticipating and ordering needed supplies.
- Completes medical support staff schedule and organizes daily work activities to assure adequate clinic coverage and assists leadership team in managing coverage for support staff call offs and changes in provider schedules.
- Serves as primary trainer to all medical support staff in clinical setting.
- Assists with providing medical support staff training during new hire orientation as requested.
- Assists in performing audits of medical support staff.
- Counts and reconciles medications and immunizations.
- Assists in conducting monthly log checks including oxygen tanks, bump tests, refrigerator tests, etc.
- Assists in performing Medical Support Staff Supervisor administrative duties as requested.
- Assists Health Center Administrator in completing monthly ADHS checklist walkthrough.
- If Assigned to Mobile Medical Operations:
- Works closely with Mobile Medical Leadership Team to resolve patient flow issues.
- Collaborates with Immunizations Coordinator to perform necessary VFC and Vaccine program quality management tasks such as logging medication, performing temperature checks, monthly ordering and participating in VFC audits.
- Maintains medical supplies inventory on mobile medical unit by anticipating and ordering needed supplies.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Medical Assistant Diploma or completed a United States Armed Forces medical services training program required.
- Current Medical Assistant Certification required.
- Current Phlebotomy Technician Certification required.
- Current EKG Technician Certification required.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working as Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
- Any combination of education and work experience that meets the necessary skills required will be considered.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Valid fingerprint clearance card required.
- Must have reliable transportation that can meet any operational reassignments of the organization during the workday.
- Valid driver's license and proof of insurance may be required if driving during work hours and/or if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Job Status: Full Time