Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Reports To: Corporate Compliance/Risk Manager
Job Summary: Manages the Laboratory operations and supervises laboratory staff for all Laboratory sites within Chiricahua Community Health Centers (CCHCI).
Qualifications and Requirements:
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty listed in this job description, satisfactorily. The position duties and responsibilities listed below represent the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and it may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provide medical laboratory diagnostic and therapeutic information, products, and services by establishing and implementing specimen preparation procedures.
- Developing and implementing analytical procedures.
- Reporting results according to protocols mandated by the state and federal guidelines.
- Maintain medical laboratory equipment by quality control testing and by establishing quality standards.
- Certifying instrument performance by calibration as needed.
- Maintains quality test results by collaborating with the CCHCI quality assurance department.
- Performing proficiency surveys as well as reviewing quality control and quality assurance program content.
- Maintaining laboratory licenses, documentation and producing/printing the Levey Jennings reports for the Laboratory Technical Consultant.
- Developing and performing Quality Control parallel testing as well as documenting and monitoring progress.
- Providing leadership and supervision for all CCHCI’s Laboratory staff at our locations in the CCHCI service area (including the CCHCI mobile units) and the ability to travel to those locations when necessary.
- Consulting with pathologists, if necessary.
- Developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures. Ensuring staff compliance with the appropriate testing protocols.
- Monitor and track equipment replacement, service, repair and calibration.
- Maintains medical laboratory supply inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level.
- Identifying peak and slack periods and making operational or staffing adjustments based on workflow.
- Be knowledgeable on how laboratory testing affects the quality measures of the health center
- Reviewing, revising and developing laboratory policy and procedures
- Generating reports as needed
- Maintains medical laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems and recommending improvements
- Establish testing priorities and direct staff. Maintaining HIPAA security and confidentiality.
- Implement new programs, tests, testing methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives, making recommendations and training personnel on new approved procedures.
- Maintain medical laboratory staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains medical laboratory staff performance results by counseling and disciplining employees.
- Planning, performing and delivery of performance evaluations of laboratory staff.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies.
- Prepares physicians, nurses, patients, and students by teaching analytical theory, testing methodology, and the role of test components in human physiology and medical practice.
- Complies with state and professional continuing education licensure requirements by attending in-service programs and completing CCHCI mandatory trainings.
- Resolves problems by consulting with CCHCI leadership, Risk Manager/Compliance, technical consultant, laboratory director, physicians, and other health care professionals
- Attending committee meetings and other mandatory meetings.
- Provides on call support for the Laboratory by filling in as a Laboratory technician and accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Staff support and Training:
- Assists with the development and implementation of educational materials and training for laboratory staff.
- Assists with answering and returning patient phone calls and taking messages regarding CCHCI laboratory operations and test results.
- Comply with and be an example for staff regarding maintaining infection control policies and procedures; follows order of draw procedures, specimen storage procedures and universal precautions.
- Review and update standard operating procedures for proper specimen processing technique and provide training to staff when changes are implemented.
- Maintains medical laboratory productivity by monitoring workload of laboratory personnel and implementing attainable KPI’s for lab staff.
- Development of user manuals based on best practice and the use of manufacturer recommendations.
- Training new and established employees on new testing methods, proper technique as well as evaluating and testing staff for competency in their duties.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Master’s in clinical laboratory science, medical technology or chemical, physical or biological science AND 1-year laboratory training/experience AND 1-year supervisory experience in a laboratory
- Bachelor’s in medical technology or chemical, physical or biological science AND 2 years laboratory training/experience AND 2 years supervisory experience in a laboratory
- CLS, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, MLT, Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement or using corporate vehicle.
Job Status: Full Time