Job Title: Dental Hygienist
Reports To: Director of Dental Services
Job Summary: Provides a high standard of preventative dental services.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned as needed
Essential Job Duties:
- Performs dental services that maintain patients' preventative oral health standards, such as perio program, gingival maintenance and fluoride varnish pediatric program.
- Performs routine treatment procedures, such as cleaning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants and fluorides, and related procedures.
- Develops and implements individualized dental care plans in collaboration with dentist.
- Provides patient education on procedures and ongoing dental care.
- Documents and reports dental history or chief complaint, pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate.
- Assists in patient admission, transfer, and discharge, and preparation of patient care areas.
- Prepares reports and assists with patient reception, telephone calls, routine triage, and other office duties.
- Sets up and prepares dental equipment and instrumentation.
- Maintains an active recall system.
- Schedules follow up appointments.
- Participates in providing regular and meaningful peer review and feedback to other dental providers.
- Provides dental hygienist services at any site within CCHCI’s network.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Graduate from an accredited Dental Hygiene Program with an Associates Degree of Science in Dental Hygiene.
- Current Arizona license as a Registered Dental Hygienist
- Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the necessary skills required may be considered.
- Current CPR certification.
- Local Anesthetic Certificate.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Participates in continuing medical/dental education programs to maintain professional competence and skills.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Preferred Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene preferred.
- Clinical experience preferred.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose effective instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or dental equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone and other office machinery and dental equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to skillfully gather and analyze data.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Displays high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and Corporate Compliance rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services.
- Knowledge and understanding of dental surgery and associated procedures, terminology, and techniques.
- Knowledge of Dental health plans and community health centers.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health/Dental Records and dental x-ray software preferred.
- Ability to independently assess the nature and extent of dental, periodontal, and associated conditions and pathology in dental outpatients.
- Ability to analyze medical records and prescribed protocol to formulate effective treatment plans.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Work occasionally involves use of needles and other dental equipment with proximity to electrical current, exposure to moving mechanical parts, and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires occasional travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Work requires ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours.