Dental Assistant I
Job Title: Dental Assistant I
Reports To: Dental Assistant Supervisor
Job Summary: To assist Dentist and Dental Hygienist in the administration of patient care at chair side.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted, and/or applied in any way, as necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assists Dentist or Dental Hygienist in the performance of dental procedures.
- Identifies patient health care service requirements while being aware of age specific needs and protocols.
- Directs patient to operatory, obtains and records accurate routine patient vital signs.
- Prepares, processes, and mounts intra-oral and panoramic radiographs.
- Prepares patient for services being rendered by provider.
- Assists provider with positioning and passing instruments and performing suctioning.
- Assists provider in examination of patients and gives instructions as directed by provider
- Fills out all appropriate and necessary paperwork as well as ensures patient and provider signatures on paperwork.
- Completes necessary documentation in patients EDR and EHR chart.
- Maintains updated treatment plans for patients.
- Takes preliminary impressions and/or prepares models.
- Cleans, stocks, and prepares operatory stations between patients.
- Performs sterilization of instruments and equipment in a timely manner.
- Complies with infection control policies and protocols.
- Stocks supply carts as necessary
- Accesses necessary charts for documentation and messages.
- Acts as a liaison between providers and other care givers.
- Processes referrals and sends Prior authorization tasks.
- Answers phone calls, tasks, and returns any necessary phone calls in a timely manner
- Assists with inventory control and laboratory service tracking.
- Calls and schedules patients for follow up services from laboratories.
- Answers phone calls and takes messages. Returns patient calls as directed by provider.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by reporting equipment malfunctions and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Travels to any location as needed. For float positions, mileage may not be paid.
- Works extended hours as needed.
- Working assigned weekends is required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Certification as a Dental Assistant required.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Fingerprint verification within three months in position.
- X-Ray Certification (signed up by 90 days of hire date and certified within 6 months of hire).
- Coronal Polish Certification (signed up by 90 days of hire date and certified within 6 months of hire).
- Driver’s License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement. For Float positions, mileage may not be paid.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish may be preferred based on current staffing patterns, patient population, and/or duty assignment.
- Ability to comprehend and understand dental terminology.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to frequently remain in a stationary position for up to two hours.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or dental equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform basic medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Familiarity with Electronic Dental Records and dental x-ray software preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work frequently involves dental equipment and machinery with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires occasional travel and extended hours to include early morning, evenings, holidays, and weekends.
- If hired for a float position, position requires frequent travel to any dental center as needed.
Job Status: Full Time