Counselor, Behavioral Health (Non-Licensed)
Job Title: Counselor BH - (Unlicensed)
Reports To: Director of Behavioral Health
Job Summary: Provides direct client education and counseling services to assigned individuals and groups participating in CCHCI services with clinical oversite from behavioral health professionals.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way, as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides intake, assessment, and behavioral health services for referred clients.
- Provides individual counseling services dependent on level of experience and supervision requirements.
- Documents and reviews documentation of behavioral health visits, such as, demographic data, treatment plans, psychosocial history, progress notes, discharge planning, etc.
- Oversees and assists each assigned client with individualized service planning and reviews.
- Provides culturally sensitive therapy modalities and develops and provides new services.
- Provides excellent customer service and demonstrates ability to develop therapeutic relationships with clients.
- Assists in clinical discharge planning, referring clients to, or providing alternative services.
- Provides reports and utilization management documents to providers and agencies involved in client's care.
- Participates in Behavioral Health team and other quality improvement and staff meetings as needed.
- Coordinates and facilitates groups to support program goals and develops structure of content.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Master’s degree in behavioral health or related program with at least 1 year of experience providing counseling services in a behavioral health setting.
- Two years of experience with direct patient/client care in a behavioral health setting.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computers, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to skillfully gather and analyze data.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as the position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Work requires the ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours.