Counselor, Behavioral Health (Licensed)
Job Title: Counselor, BH (Licensed)
Reports To: Director of Behavioral Health
Job Summary: Provides direct client education and counseling services to assigned individuals and groups participating in CCHCI services.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides intake, assessment, and behavioral health services for referred clients.
- Provides individual counseling services dependent on degree and licensure. For example, if LISAC, can only counsel for substance abuse related concerns.
- Documents and reviews documentation of behavioral health visits, such as, demographic data, treatment plans, psychosocial history, progress notes, discharge planning, etc.
- Complete continuing education according to licensing board in timely manner.
- Continues to be in good standing with licensing board and will complete renewals in timely manner to avoid lapse in licensure.
- Oversees and assists each assigned client with individualized service planning and reviews.
- Provides culturally sensitive therapy modalities and develops and provides new services.
- Assists in clinical discharge planning, referring clients to, or providing alternative services.
- Provides consultation and training to providers and staff about behavioral health services and clients.
- Provides reports and utilization management documents to providers and agencies involved in client's care.
- Participates in Behavioral Health team and other quality improvement and staff meetings as needed.
- Coordinates and facilitates groups to support program goals and develops structure of content.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Master’s degree in behavioral health or related program.
- Must be licensed by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners as a Substance Abuse Counselor, Professional Counselor, Marriage & Family Therapist, Social Worker, or other license as appropriate.
- One to two years of experience with patient/client care in a behavioral health setting strongly preferred.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computers, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to skillfully gather and analyze data.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as the position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Work requires the ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours.