Coordinator, Behavioral Health Intake
Job Title: Coordinator, Behavioral Health Intake
Reports To: Supervisor, Counseling Program
Job Summary: Processes and follows up on behavioral health department referrals to include scheduling of counseling and psychiatric intakes for assessment, diagnosis and treatment. Provides support to providers and support staff when managing intakes into the behavioral health department services.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Essential Job Duties:
- Obtains and tracks all referrals for needed intakes from the referrals department.
- Initiates calls to patients to complete needed intakes for counseling and psychiatric medication management.
- Assesses, diagnosis and prepares initial treatment plans for each discipline.
- Schedules patients on appropriate counseling or psychiatric nurse practitioner schedules.
- Follows-up to ensure that all patients keep appointments for intakes and/or reschedules patients that miss intake appointments.
- Oversees and assists each assigned client with individualized service planning and reviews as needed.
- Provides culturally sensitive therapy modalities.
- Completes intake documentation according to audit tool.
- Ensures timely completion of each intake documentation and obtains appropriate signatures for consents.
- Ensures all paperwork is completed in a timely manner and documentation signed before locking of encounters.
- Runs reports according to policies and procedures to follow up on open referrals until closing the loop, electronically filing and documenting steps in the process.
- Works with Behavioral Health Schedulers and Providers to ensure schedules are correct and appropriate.
- Assists referrals department as needed as a liaison between physicians, health plans, patients, or other referral sources.
- Completes reports as needed on data collection for referral numbers, intake numbers, no-show rates, encounter transfers and referral closures.
- Participates in Behavioral Health team, quality improvement and staff meetings as needed.
- Completes continuing education according to licensing board in timely manner.
- Continues to be in good standing with licensing board and will complete renewals in timely manner to avoid lapse in licensure.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Master’s Degree in Behavioral Health or related program.
- Must be licensed by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card required.
Preferred Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker strongly preferred.
- Two years of experience with patient/client care in a behavioral health setting strongly preferred.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to occasionally move about inside the workplace to access files, office machinery, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to take direction and perform assignments accordingly.
- Knowledge of all aspects of insurance referral process.
- Computer literacy required.
- Understands covered services and contracted mental health providers and dietitians enrolled with various insurance carriers.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service by mail, telephone, and in-person.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of an administrative office setting with no substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Job Status: Full Time