Chiricahua Community Health Centers, Inc.
Job Title: Controller
Reports To: Chief Finance Officer
Job Summary: Manages Accounting and Payroll department and its activities and assists the Chief Financial Officer in improving the financial strength of CCHCI.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
Manages Accounting and Payroll Staff and Operations
- Directs and oversees all Finance department staff, to include hiring, training, evaluating, and conducting disciplinary actions and other personnel actions as required.
- Facilitates and promotes orientation, operational training, hands-on coaching, and other staff development tools and resources for all Accounting and Payroll staff, and monitors performance.
- Gathers and reports accurate data to facilitate and support leadership requests, and internal and external audits as required.
- Directs, develops and implements policies and procedures regarding Accounting and Payroll operations.
- Engages in strategic planning activities and implements strategic decisions into operational plans.
- Attends and participates in leadership, management, Continuous Quality Improvement, and other staff meetings as needed.
- Assists in system administration of the accounting and payroll software.
- Conducts regular operational staff meetings effectively.
Assists in Maintaining Financial Strength of CCHCI
- Manages all daily accounting functions including accounts payable, payroll, fixed assets and general ledger.
- Oversees organization’s accounting practices and the maintenance of its fiscal records.
- Oversees internal controls, forecasts, financial reporting, and budgetary controls.
- Oversees, prepares, and interprets all financial reporting including internal, external and regulatory reporting.
- Prepares, financial statements and complex reports on short, defined timelines.
- Coordinates internal and external financial audits.
- Assists in review and negotiation of contracts and agreements.
- Assists with various projects in support of Leadership.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Four-year college degree in Accounting. Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a CPA preferred.
- Greater than ten (10) years’ experience in general accounting, including full charge bookkeeping through month-end closing, financial statement preparation.
- Greater than three (3) years’ experience in staff supervision.
- Three to five years of Healthcare experience.
- Certified Professional Accountant (CPA), preferred. If not a CPA, all requirements met to take the CPA exam and to become a CPA must be met.
- Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the necessary skills and sensitivity.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
- Participates in training and education programs to maintain professional competence and skills.
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to occasionally move about inside the work place to access files, office machinery, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated aptitude in basic accounting.
- Ability to employ statistical / mathematical methods to collect and analyze data and develop solutions.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Displays high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to skillfully gather and analyze data.
- Displays sound and accurate judgment and ability to make timely decisions.
- Knowledge of billing, medical records, medical office operations, health plans, and community health centers preferred.
- Expert knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and Corporate Compliance rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Human Resources Policies and procedures and Employee Handbook.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in use of Microsoft Office programs and accounting software.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to employ motivational techniques to train, mentor and lead staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to build effective teams.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is usually typical of an administrative office setting with no substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Work requires ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours. Cell Phone stipend will be provided.
Job Status: Full Time