Community Health Worker Program Manager
Job Title: Community Health Worker Program Manager
Reports To: Manager of Public Health Programs
Job Summary: The Community Health Worker Program Manager is experienced and passionate about community health, and responsible for the supervision and development of the Community Health Worker (CHW) Program. Will lead in integration of CHWs both in clinical operations as well as community outreach, community efforts to address chronic disease and infectious disease throughout the service area, fostering community relationships and providing guidance and mentorship to CHWs.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties that fall within the broad scope of this classification may be assigned.
- Provides Supervision, Development to the Community Health Worker Program:
- Focuses on the growth and the development of the CHW Program to include integration into clinical services and outreach to special populations.
- Collaborates closely with Manager of Public Health Programs and other leadership to implement creative, innovative, and evidence-based initiatives to expand reach of CHW Program and improve upon services provided.
- Collaborate closely with quality metrics and goals to close gaps in care and address social determinants of health.
- Supervises Community Health Workers to include hiring, training, evaluating, and conducting disciplinary actions and other personnel actions as required.
- Collects and reports data on program adherence, from NextGen and other sources, as needed to meet CCHCI leadership and grant requirements. Analyzes collected data to review effectiveness of services and seeks to strengthen and improve upon services.
- Conducts and participates in regular staff meetings with all Public Health Programs staff as well as regional, state, and local meetings.
- Assists the Community Health Workers in completing the CHW Training syllabus developed for certification.
- Provides guidance and mentorship for all CHWs within the program. Assists CHWs to develop and strengthen clinical and community health skills.
- Facilitates program growth and expansion by working closely with clinical teams to serve all patients, including members of our special populations (homeless, low-income housing residents, migrant and seasonal farmworkers, veterans, and others).
- Leads and participates in community outreach events throughout service area.
- Represent CCHCI with outside organizations as applicable at regional, state, national and (potentially) international meetings.
- Supports Community Efforts to Immunize and Test for Infectious Diseases:
- Assists in community infectious disease testing, prevention, reporting, surveillance, and immunizations.
- Collaborates with Manager of Public Health Programs, Vaccine & Infection Control RN, Mobile Program Manager to develop plans for community-wide immunization initiatives. Targeting vulnerable and underserved populations and special populations.
- Conducts home visits as needed to administer vaccines, other services needed by homebound individuals.
- Assist in submission of required reports.
- Ensure operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventory, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- When needed, performs lab draws and maintain laboratory documents.
- Proficient in laboratory point of care testing.
- Travel to any location as needed.
Renders patient care as needed:
- Triages, treats and refers patients within the scope of nursing. Documents all relevant interactions in EHR.
- Provides home health services in collaboration with clinical team(s), Public Health programs, and Quality Department, and others.
- Collaborates with Quality Department and Revenue Cycle Office as needed for data, documentation and billing purposes.
Additional Job Duties if a Nurse Practitioner:
- Provides and manages direct patient care, including physical examinations, evaluations, assessments, diagnostic evaluations of labs and imaging or other diagnostic procedures, and treatment for patients within scope of practice.
- Prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate.
- Refers patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
- Directs and coordinates the patient care activities of nursing, care coordinators, and support staff.
- Ensures completion of tasks, patient labs, imaging, and reports, as well as required paperwork in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintains patient records and provides accurate billing data.
- Participates in in specified health promotion, education and/or prevention programs as appropriate.
- Participates in providing regular and meaningful peer review and feedback to other medical providers.
- Assists in facilitating and providing training and mentorship to improve and advance professional skills and competence of medical support and other clinical staff.
- Participates in education of clinical students, as well as community partners and undergraduate students, per the guidelines of CCHCI medical education programs.
Minimum Qualifications - Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Degree from an accredited RN nursing program required.
- Current Unrestricted Arizona State RN license.
- Three years’ experience working as RN.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Fingerprint clearance card required.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance.
Preferred Qualifications – Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Graduate degree from an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program preferred.
- Current unrestricted Arizona State Nurse Practitioner License preferred.
- Board Certified in area specific to position preferred.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred but not required.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to employ statistical / mathematical methods to collect and analyze data and develop solutions.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Displays high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Displays sound and accurate judgment and ability to make timely decisions.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and Corporate Compliance rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Human Resources policies and procedures and Employee Handbook.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in use of all Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Must be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
- Ability to employ motivational techniques to train, mentor, and lead staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to build effective teams.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work is frequently performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to outside weather conditions to include heat and cold, and humid, windy, and dry conditions.
- Work includes frequent driving in normal and adverse weather conditions over improved and rough road surfaces.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends.
- Work requires ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Job Status: Full Time