Clinical Infection Control and Safety Officer
Job Title: Clinical Infection Control and Safety Officer
Reports To: Chief Clinical Information Officer
Job Summary: Prioritizes a high reliability focus on infection control and safety. Responsibilities include assessing infection control practices and clinical safety performance throughout the organization with oversight of Employee Health, Safety and Infection Control Plans and Committees. Works closely with both system and operating entities to improve infection control and safety outcomes in clinical care and working environment.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The job duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The job duties may be modified at any time due to business needs.
- Collaborates with departmental leadership and Infection Prevention and Control Committee to develop, implement, and evaluate the Infection Control Plan (ICP) to include annual goal setting and performance tracking
- Develops, implements, educates, and evaluates CCHCI Respiratory Protection Plan in accordance with OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard 1910.134
- Partners with Community Program Manager (CPM), Facility leadership and local, state, and national agencies on activities related to infection prevention
- Utilizes internal and external data to establish a facility-wide system for the prevention, identification, investigation, and control of infections of staff and patients, including surveillance designed to identify possible communicable diseases or infections before they spread
- Assists Community Program Manager in conducting outbreak investigations
- Leads organization in infection control policy development and review.
- Collaborate with Director of Nursing to assess the need for, develops, and presents Infection Control Plan in-service education for individual departments, general orientation, and annual review as needed; education includes but is not limited to:
- Hand hygiene
- Cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization
- Specific care settings
- Use of isolation/barrier precautions when indicated (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Environmental hazards
- Use of patient care products and medical equipment
- Employee immunization programs
- Safe Injection practices
Clinical Safety Officer
- Assists Compliance/Risk Officer in review, development and training of Safety and Compliance related to clinical activities.
- Identifies and evaluates potential safety risks and potential loss and recommends solutions for reducing risk.
- Leads organization in safety policy development and review.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures and conducts training programs required for safety improvement and governmental regulation.
- Leads organization in safety equipment purchases and review.
- In collaboration with departmental leadership, develops and conducts training programs, policies and procedures required for clinical safety improvement and governmental regulation.
- Leads organization in clinical safety equipment purchases and review.
- Assists in the review of incidents concerning safety measures.
- Oversees, trains, and supervises Employee Health department
- Serves as Lead Project Manager for multiple projects
- Works with leadership to critically assess the status of Infection Control and Safety concerns, workflows and creatively explores and develops solutions to ensure that clinical processes are data driven
- Identifies and oversees collaborative partnerships with interdepartmental and third-party stakeholders to ensure Chiricahua Mission and Vision.
- Works with leadership to critically assess the status of Infection Control and Clinical Safety concerns workflows.
- Leads CCHCI efforts for JCAHO accreditation requirements as it relates to infection control and National Patient Safety Goals
Minimum Qualifications - Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Associates degree in Nursing required
- Active Arizona nursing license required
- 5 years’ experience in Quality / Performance Improvement
- 2 years successful large scale project management experience
- At least 2 years clinical experience. May be overlapping experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Active Arizona RN license preferred.
- Certificate, Infection Control (CIC) or similar preferred.
- Safety certificate preferred.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to frequently move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform basic medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform variety of assignments requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Occasionally, work requires extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Job Status: Full Time