Care Management Nurse
Reports To: Nursing Care Management Supervisor
Job Summary: Assists clinical staff and providers in the administration of patient care, population management, and care management in assigned clinical areas
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides Clinical Nursing Support
- Assists providers and assigned care team to meet population health goals by conducting health screenings, immunizations, and chronic disease management with focus on care managed patients.
- Assists care team and provider with Medicare wellness visits for clinic population.
- Completes pre-visit planning on care managed patients.
- Completes provider orders for procedures that require advanced clinical and/or nursing skills.
- Provides patient education as directed by provider.
- Assists in developing educational materials for patients and staff.
- Assists in providing clinical training and support to medical support staff.
- Assists in conducting triage (with registered nurse license) or gathers information regarding urgent patient needs and communicates with provider to resolve patient care issues promptly.
- With Registered Nurse license, takes critical test results such as labs and diagnostics and facilitates notifying provider and assuring prompt action is taken as directed by provider.
- Care Management
- Facilitates co-management of patients through transitions of care and referral with timely communication, inquiry, follow-up, and integration of information into the care plan. ?
- Develops care plans in collaboration with patient, family/caregiver(s), providers, and other clinical staff.
- Monitors patient adherence to care plans and evaluates effectiveness.
- Identifies patient progress and facilitates changes to care plans as needed
- Assesses patient unmet health care and social needs.
- Assists in developing and implementing ongoing processes to determine and request the level of care coordination support that patients and caregiver(s) need and/or desire.
- Facilitates patient access to appropriate medical and specialty providers and other care givers.
- Educates patient and family/caregiver(s) about relevant community resources. ?
- Facilitates and attends meetings between patient, family/caregiver(s), care team, payers, and community resources, as needed.
- Assists care team in the administration of patient care for care managed patients, and as back up for medical support staff.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Degree from an accredited nursing program.
- Current Unrestricted Arizona State Nursing (RN or LPN) license.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Experience in a clinical setting preferred.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license necessary as position may require some travel.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the work place to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Work occasionally involves use of medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires occasional travel and flexible hours so that early morning, evenings and weekends are accommodated.
Job Status: Full Time