Business Office Manager
Chiricahua Community Health Centers, Inc.
Job Title: Business Office Manager
Reports To: Revenue Cycle Director
Job Summary: Manages and supervises the activities of the Business Office and assists the Chief Finance Officer in improving the financial strength of CCHCI.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
Manages Business Office Staff and Operations
- Directs and oversees all business office staff, to include hiring, training, evaluating, and conducting disciplinary actions and other personnel actions as required.
- Facilitates and promotes orientation, operational training, hands-on coaching, and other staff development tools and resources for all business office staff, and monitors performance.
- Gathers and reports accurate data to facilitate and support leadership requests, and internal and external audits as required.
- Directs, develops and implements policies and procedures regarding business office operations.
- Engages in strategic planning activities and implements strategic decisions into operational plans.
- Attends and participates in leadership, management, Continuous Quality Improvement, and other staff meetings as needed.
- Assists in system administration of NextGen by reviewing and editing billable service items and other menu items and templates that affect billing.
- Conducts regular operational staff meetings effectively.
Assists in Maintaining Financial Strength of CCHCI
- Ensures that Month End closings are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews the End of Month balances of Patient Accounts Receivable for accuracy.
- Analyzes aging of patient Accounts Receivable on a monthly basis and directs billing staff to improve payment statuses.
- Ensures that charges and payments are posted daily.
- Manages claim denials to identify causes, corrective actions and ensures timely resubmission.
- Manages patient accounts regarding payment arrangements, collections and resolution of complaints and correction of errors.
- Conducts routine internal audits of charges, payments and adjustments.
- Ensures that unbilled encounters and un-submitted charges are addressed.
- Assists in negotiation and renegotiation of contracts.
- Assists with various projects in support of Leadership.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, public health, business management or a related field preferred.
- Supervisory or other leadership experience preferred.
- Four or more years of experience in Billing and/or Credentialing.
- Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the necessary skills and sensitivity.
- Certified Professional Coder Certification required within 12 months of the start date.
- Driver's License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to occasionally exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to occasionally move about inside the work place to access files, office machinery, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, and other office machinery.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to skillfully gather and analyze data.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring considerable independent judgment.
- Displays high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Displays sound and accurate judgment and ability to make timely decisions.
- Knowledge of billing, medical records, medical office operations, health plans, and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and Corporate Compliance rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Human Resources Policies and procedures and Employee Handbook.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in use of all Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to employ motivational techniques to train, mentor and lead staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to build effective teams.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is usually typical of an administrative office setting with no substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Work requires ability to be contacted by cell phone during or outside of regular work hours. Cell Phone stipend will be provided.
Job Status: Full Time