Adult Primary Care Nurse
Job Title: Adult Primary Care Nurse
Reports To: Care Management Nurse Supervisor
Job Summary: Assists clinical staff and provider in the administration of adult patient care population management, and care management in assigned clinical areas with designated provider.
Qualifications and Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed and may be modified, interpreted and/or applied in any way, as necessary. Maintaining regular and punctual attendance is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Essential Job Duties:
Provides Clinical Nursing Support
- Assists providers and assigned care team to meet population health goals by conducting health screenings, immunizations, pre-visit planning, chronic disease management while also identifying patients that qualify for nurse care management.
- Assists care team and provider with Medicare annual wellness visits for assigned providers’ panel
- Completes pre-visit planning daily with provider and care team to identify gaps in care and facilitate comprehensive patient care.
- Completes provider orders for procedures that require advanced clinical and/or nursing skills.
- Provides patient education as directed by provider.
- Assists in developing educational materials for patients and staff.
- Assists in conducting triage (with registered nurse license) or gathers information regarding urgent patient needs and communicates with provider to resolve patient care issues promptly.
- With Registered Nurse license, takes critical test results such as labs and diagnostics and facilitates notifying provider and assuring prompt action is taken as directed by provider.
- Directs patient to exam room, obtains and records accurate routine patient vital signs, prepares patient for examination, and assists performing procedures, injections and other treatments as ordered by provider.
- Assists provider in examination of patients and gives instructions as directed by provider.
- Fills out appropriate immunization paperwork for recording purposes.
- Answers phone calls and takes messages. Returns patient calls as directed by provider.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between patients and stocks exam rooms.
- Processes referrals, medication refill requests, and coordinates appointments for specific care and diagnostic procedures.
- Pulls requested charts for messages and documentation.
- Receives reports on patients and delivers them to the appropriate provider.
- Notifies patient of test results when instructed to do so by provider.
- Performs sterilization of instruments and surgical packs in a timely manner.
- Documents and maintains records of verbal and written procedures, medication, delivery of care, and pertinent information regarding patient care services.
- Complies with infection control policies and protocols; follows medication administration, storage procedures and controlled substance regulations.
- Ensures operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventory, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- When needed, performs lab draws, conducts CBC analyzer tests, and maintains laboratory documents.
- Facilitates co-management of patients through transitions of care and referral with timely communication, inquiry, follow-up, and integration of information into the care plan within the providers’ panel. ?
- Develops care plans in collaboration with patient, family/caregiver(s), providers, and other clinical staff.
- Monitors patient adherence to care plans and evaluates effectiveness.
- Identifies patient progress and facilitates changes to care plans as needed
- Assesses patient unmet health care and social needs.
- Assists in developing and implementing ongoing processes to determine and request the level of care coordination support that patients and caregiver(s) need and/or desire.
- Facilitates patient access to appropriate medical and specialty providers and other care givers.
- Educates patient and family/caregiver(s) about relevant community resources. ?
- Facilitates and attends meetings between patient, family/caregiver(s), care team, payers, and community resources, as needed.
Additional Job Duties:
- Responds to incoming unmatched refill requests for assigned provider from pharmacies
- Takes incoming calls from patients who have questions regarding medication refills or prior authorizations
- Refills medications if appropriate and under approved standing orders
- Reviews all incoming Transition of Care/Referral Documents received as Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture (CCDA’s) and reconciles medication lists and active diagnoses as appropriate per assigned provider
- Notifies providers of new diagnoses or changes in medication regimens when appropriate for assigned provider panel.
- Assists care team in the administration of patient care for assigned providers panel of patients, and as back up for medical support staff.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates & Licenses:
- Degree from an accredited nursing program.
- Current Unrestricted Arizona State Nursing (RN or LPN) license.
- Registered Nurse RN preferred. LPN’s will be considered.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
- Experience in a clinical setting preferred.
- Valid Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- CLIA II Waived Analyzers Certification required.
- Driver’s License and Proof of Insurance may be required if requesting mileage reimbursement.
Required Language Skills:
- Ability to comprehend and compose instructions, correspondence, and communications in English in both oral and written format.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, internal providers and staff and other agency staff working in cooperation with the organization.
- Ability to frequently exert enough force to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to continuously remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to constantly move about inside the workplace to assist patients, operate office or medical equipment, etc.
- Possesses hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to constantly operate computer, telephone, other office machinery, and medical equipment.
- Possesses close visual acuity necessary to accurately record and view information on a computer monitor, handwritten and typed documents.
- Ability to discern the nature of sounds at a normal spoken volume.
- Possesses range of body motion and ability to exert enough force to lift and move adult and pediatric patients.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform medical math that may include the use of ratio/proportion, dosage calculation, metric and household equivalents, roman numerals, abbreviations, and general math including percentages, etc.
- Ability to gather data in an organized fashion from varied sources.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments and make decisions requiring independent judgment.
- Ability to resolve challenges and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of health plans and community health centers preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
Work Environment & Conditions:
- Work environment is typical of a health clinic setting with occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, and hazardous chemicals.
- Work occasionally involves use of needles and other medical equipment with proximity to electrical current, and exposure to moving mechanical parts and some hazardous chemicals.
- Work requires reliable transportation as position requires frequent travel and extended hours to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.